Back in November, plans changed for the first part of the Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway anime film, which was originally lined up for a July 23, 2020 premiere. The COVID-19 pandemic forced the film to be pushed back to a May 7, 2021 opening, and now we have a new minute-long trailer for another sample of what the trilogy has to offer.
Hathaway will be getting 4D and Dolby Cinema screenings on day one and will be released in 214 theaters, marking the biggest rollout in Gundam history. You can check out an English-subtitled version of the new trailer below.
The trilogy is based on Yoshiyuki Tomino’s Mobile Suit Gundam: Senkou no Hathaway / Hathaway’s Flash novel, which was published across three volumes by Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko from 1989 to 1990. According to Sunrise producer Naohiro Ogata, while the novel was written as a sequel to Tomino’s 1988 novel Mobile Suit Gundam Char’s Counterattack – Beltorchika Children (based on his rejected first draft for the 1988 film Mobile Suit Gundam Char’s Counterattack), the upcoming anime will be produced as a sequel to the Char’s Counterattack anime film.
Previous teaser visual:
- Director: Shukou Murase (Gundam Wing character designer, Witch Hunter ROBIN director)
- Screenplay: Yasuyuki Muto (Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn)
- Character design: pablo uchida, Naoyuki Onda, Shigeki Kuhara
- Original character design: Haruhiko Mikimoto (Macross series)
- Mechanical design: Hajime Katoki, Kimitoshi Yamane, Seiichi Nakatani, Nobuhiko Genma
- Original mechanical design: Yasuhiro Moriki
- Art director: Gouki Nakamura
- Color design: Takako Suzuki
- Director of photography: Kentaro Waki
- CG director: Takayuki Masuo, Tomohiro Fujie
- Editor: Daisuke Imai
- Sound director: Hiroshi Kasamatsu
- Recording director: Eriko Kimura
- Music: Hiroyuki Sawano (Mobile Suit Gundam UC, Attack on Titan)
Latest in Anime News by Crunchyroll!