While the last year may have seen fewer TV anime released than the last due to, ya know, what is currently ongoing, it didn’t stop anime this year from having some great openings. Japanese anime website Anime! Anime! polled their readers on what was their favorite anime opening from 2020, with 1,176 people responding. In the list are some expected bangers, but also a few surprises!
Of the 1,176 votes, 28% of them were male and 72% were females. Just a little reminder that this poll wasn’t run by Crunchyroll, and nor did we have any say over the list, we’re just as interested as you are in what international fans think!
9. “Kaimin! Anmin! Syalist Seikatsu” by Inori Minase (Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle)
9. “DiSCOVER the FUTURE” by IDOLiSH7 (IDOLiSH7 Second Beat!)
8. “Navigator” by SixTones (The Millionaire Detective – Balance: UNLIMITED)
6. “Phoenix” by Burnout Syndromes (HAIKYU!! TO THE TOP 1st Cour)
6. “final phase” by fripSide (A Certain Scientific Railgun T Opening 1)
4. “Daddy! Daddy Do!” by Masayuki Suzuki with Airi Suzuki (Kaguya-sama: Love Is War?)
4. “Hypnosis Mic -Rhyme Anima-” by Division All Stars (Hypnosis Mic: Division Rap Battle: Rhyme Anima)
3. “Anima” by Reona (Sword Art Online Alicization War of Underworld 2nd Cour)
2. “Kaikai Kitan” by Eve (JUJUTSU KAISEN)
1. “BREAKING DAWN” by Kim Jae-joong (Noblesse)
Honestly, I’m personally not surprised by the results, Kim Jae-joong is massively popular in Japan right now, as is K-pop as a genre, so “BREAKING DAWN”, which was also released in English and Korean as well as Japanese, was bound to be a hit no matter what. And the rest of the list? Some pretty great tunes from the last year!
What was your favorite anime opening in 2020? Let us know down in the comments below!
Daryl Harding is a Japan Correspondent for Crunchyroll News. He also runs the YouTube channel about Japan stuff called TheDoctorDazza, tweets at @DoctorDazza, and posts photos of his travels on Instagram.
Latest in Anime News by Crunchyroll!